In May 1942, the Redemptorist Fathers took charge of Sacred Heart, Griffin, GA, which then served the pastoral needs of Catholics in Butts County. The first mass was offered in Jackson by Rev. John Walsh, C.S.S.R., on April 11, 1943, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Deraney. For several years thereafter, mass was offered in Jackson every other Sunday at the Deraney home and later in the home of Mrs. Freeman Land. By May, 1947, Mass was said every Sunday in Jackson in the chapel at the home of Mr. and Mrs. David Deraney.
Bishop Francis E. Hyland D.D, J.C.D. had a deep interest in the Jackson mission and was instrumental in the building of “the little church” as St. Mary’s parishioners would fondly refer to this new facility on the corner of Covington and Lyons Streets in Jackson for many years. Construction of “the little church” began on October 7, 1959, and the first mass was celebrated at “the little church” on March 16, 1960, by Rev. W. Hlavac C.S.S.R.
With the passing years and growth of St. Mary’s parish, it became necessary to build a new church. In 1995, Msgr. Henry Gracz, an archdiocesan priest was appointed pastor of St. James, McDonough, of which St. Mary’s had become a mission. Therefore, he took over the task of leading St. Mary’s parishioners in building a new church to the needs of a community that had outgrown “the little church”and at the same time, leading the community at St. James in building a new church to serve the rapidly expanding population of Henry Co. In August 1999, Archbishop John F. Donoghue, D.D. dedicated the present facility at St. Mary’s new location on Old Griffin Road.
In June, 2001, Msgr. Terry Young was appointed pastor of St. James and therefore, became responsible for the St. Mary’s Mission. In 2004, the original plans for the new church were completed with the erection of a steeple in memory of Larry Deraney and the installation of chimes in memory of Dahlin family members. In 2005 Msgr. Young resigned as pastor of St. James and at his request was appointed full-time resident Administrator of St. Mary’s by Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory, D.S.L.
In July of 2010, Father Mark Fischer was served at our parish until he relocated in October of 2013.
In December of 2013, Father Diosmar Natad served at our parish until he relocated in June of 2016.
In July of 2016, Father Jose Kochuparampil was assigned as Administrator for St. Mary, Mother of God Church, Jackson. We welcome him to our St. Mary’s Community.
Since the opening of the new church, St. Mary’s has grown from 130 to over 200 families and continues to grow. We are now in the process of laying plans for further construction because we have outgrown our present facilities in the areas of Faith Formation and community life activities. We are a faith community with a rich tradition in our past and enthusiastic and optimistic about our future. With faith in God, a commitment to our Catholic faith, and support for one another, we know that we can fulfill whatever God’s plans are for His Church in this and the surrounding counties. We welcome newcomers to join us in this challenging task!
The mission of St. Mary, Mother of God Catholic Church is given by Christ’s command to go out into the whole world and preach the Gospel to all the people.
This is done in union with , and subject to our Holy Father Pope Francis and the Archbishop of Atlanta, Wilton Gregory. We answer God’s call to enter his Mystical Body, known through his visible Church on earth. Striving to be his holy people, we avail ourselves of God’s means of grace, especially the frequent reception of the sacraments, fervent prayer and our connection to the teachings and traditions of the Roman Catholic Church.